How to make the right decision?
While coaching my clients, I discover that many are afraid of making the wrong decisions, for example, regarding a job change or solving some complex problem. They feel unsure and lost because the direction seems to be blurry. In a world filled with distractions and conflicting influences, losing sight of what truly matters to us is easy. Instead, we follow what matters to others, like our partners, parents or bosses, and only realise that mistake once we reach the wall. We wake up frustrated and disappointed.
So what can help to ensure that your choices will serve your life? Here you find some essential tips that help in every situation you may face:
- Identify your core values: the first step is reflecting on your values. What is the most important for you in life? Autonomy, responsibility, growth? Honesty, compassion, security? On what do you build your relations with people? Take the time to think about yourself and create a list of your top values (when you make notes or speak out loud, you see things more clearly). This step will help you understand what should guide your choices when faced with conflicting options.
- Cultivate self-awareness: developing self-awareness is vital for making conscious choices. Take time for self-reflection and regularly ask yourself if your actions are in harmony with what you hold dear. Notice any patterns or behaviours that may be out of alignment and make adjustments accordingly.
- Practice mindfulness: mindfulness is the art of being fully present in the moment and aware of your thoughts, feelings, and actions. By staying present, you can pause and evaluate whether a particular decision is congruent with your core values.
- Seek clarity and support: when you find yourself uncertain, seek clarity. Engage in activities that help you gain insights into your values, such as journaling, self-reflection, or seeking guidance from a trusted mentor or friend who knows you well. Discussing matters and options with supportive individuals can provide valuable perspectives and help you make the right decisions.
- Embrace authenticity: When your choices align with your values, you cultivate authenticity. Embrace your uniqueness and allow your values to guide your decisions without seeking validation from others. Be true to yourself and trust yourself because you are the best architect of your life.
Making choices that serve your life is an ongoing journey, and you may stumble along the way, but with each conscious decision, you grow and step closer to a life filled with confidence, satisfaction and fulfilment.